Finding Balance in Motherhood

It was 8:00 PM last Sunday when I put Olivia to bed. I have never felt a sense of great accomplishment in quite some time. Wow! Baby's asleep. Food was cooked and prepared for the following day. House was cleaned. Laundry was done. I couldn't even begin to describe the feeling I had that for once everything was in order. 

The last few months have left me drained out... pretty much in all aspects. I look at my calendar and to-do list and I become more and more overwhelmed each day. Since returning back to work from maternity leave, I have been struggling to find balance between work and home

Does your house always seem messy? Is your to-do list getting longer and longer? Do you sometimes wish that you can just freeze time for even a few minutes just so you can have a moment to yourself to just breathe? Do you find yourself burned out by the oh so many things that you have to juggle? Can anyone else relate?

I have found a few things that have helped me over the last few weeks and I wanted to share it with you:
Planning ahead of time and getting on a routine
As some of you know I plan/coordinate weddings on the side. I've always enjoyed planning way ahead of time. It has always given me some kind of comfort to know that if and when something comes up at the last minute, I am able to manage these events efficiently because I have planned everything else. I have found it to be very helpful to plan our meals ahead of time so when I go on my grocery runs, I save so much more time than if I hadn't done so. Because of this, I am able to go to the gym few times during the week because food has been prepared already. Same goes with the other things that I have to do; these all require intentional planning.

Know your priorities
My family, of course, is my #1 priority.  Often, I feel like I'm running around doing things and stressing out over things that should really come second like work and everything else. At the end of the day, I end up giving my family my leftovers when I just said they are my #1 priority. Can the chores not wait? What is really more important? My family or my to-do list? 


Asking for help and setting healthy boundaries:
As far as I can remember, I have always had a problem with saying no to people. As much as I enjoy serving and being there for my loved ones, there have been too many times I wished I said no. It also does not help that I do not like to ask people or even my husband for help sometimes. I know that his work is more demanding than mine so I try to carry everything on my own which then often times leaves me feeling like I have "lost myself" in the process (if that makes sense to you).

With Olivia now especially, I believe good boundaries help me distinguish my own limits so I can better care for myself which in the end really give my best to my family. It keeps me on track and is a good reminder of what really matters to me at this time in life and what God has called me to be.

Finding Rest in Him
Ecclesiastes 3:1 says " There is a time for everything and a season for every activity under the heavens..." A few Saturdays ago, I deliberately decided to put everything aside to rest and spend time with God. There is a time for household chores and time for play and work but that day I learned the importance of the God given gift of rest.The background noise(s) distracted me from living for Christ. I was worn out for months by the things that do not really matter. That time with Him did not only restore my joy but has also helped me become productive both at home and work.

Finding balance is a constant struggle. Sunday night was pretty rare. Often times the house is not in order and some times dishes are left piled on the sink and you know what? THAT IS OKAY! If you are struggling with the same things as I am, I hope and pray that you can find balance in the busyness of life.

In Him,
Vanessa

Comments

  1. Absolutely! Great insight, Vanessa! ;-) Sadly, I don't plan my meals ahead of time! I really should.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts